Friday, August 17, 2012

My Almost Missed Flight


It’s been a crazy last 12 hours. At about 6 pm in last night, as I was finishing up some last minute things and packing, I checked to see if my flight was running on time to London. It was scheduled for 9:45 pm, but when I looked up my flight it was listed instead as an 8 am departure time. It took me a second to realize it must be a delay of over 10 hours and would mean missing my connecting flight to Accra, postponing the trip by another day. I called the airline to find out my options. The woman on the phone asked how far I lived from O’Hare because the only other flight to Heathrow left at 7:25 pm, in a little over an hour.  I said 20 minutes with no traffic, but that’s unlikely at 6:10 pm, late rush hour – it could take up to 2 hours! But I figured I had nothing to lose trying. So I grabbed my bags and my family jumped in the car. Miraculously there was no traffic and I was able to get to the terminal by 6:30 pm. I couldn’t believe it! I only had a half hour to check my bags, get a boarding pass, go through security, and get to the gate. I made it with about 3 minutes to spare before they closed the door, so now I’m writing this over coffee at Heathrow. What a relief! I have a few hours until my plane leaves. Excited as I am to get to Ghana, it pains me to touch down in London without stopping for a visit.