Friday, August 31, 2012

Kakum

Ghana has a lush, green landscape, but because people rely so heavily on wood and coal for fuel and cooking, it is largely deforested. So it was exciting to travel up to Kakum National Park and see the rainforest and towering trees. Kakum has a famous canopy bridge that rides 400 meters in the air! A series of boards on horizontal ladders are suspended from the trees by rope. I did my best to face and overcome my fear of heights, but I was only able to brave three of the seven levels. 

 The Canopy Walk


Bamboo


Ceiba Tree Roots




I look happy here, but in reality I am frozen with fear and recovering from a small heart attack.


If I could come here again, I would camp overnight or stay in the Kakum tree house so I could venture out at dawn. Early in the morning, there are a variety of monkeys and birds for nature lovers.