Friday, August 17, 2012

Why I Chose Ghana



When I found out about Fund for Teachers grant opportunities, I decided to apply for a grant to travel and learn more about ceramics from another part of the world. Several possibilities crossed my mind – Peru & Ecuador, Nepal, China, Korea, and Ghana.  All of these spots have ceramic traditions I would like to learn more about, but I have probably learned the least in my life about art in Africa. There is very little information available in the States, particularly about contemporary art in Africa, so I wondered what potters and sculptors and other artists were doing right now in that part of the globe. There had to be a larger art culture than the outdated books in my public library have portrayed, focusing almost exclusively on masks. Ghana has always been a hotspot for art in Africa – known for textile designs, printing, weaving, woodworking, and ceramics – so it seemed like a perfect place to start.